Most of the time, drains are clogged due to human errors. That being said, be careful with what you put down the drain! Below, we’ve compiled four hacks to prevent clogs in drains to help you avoid the disaster.
- Never pour liquid grease down the drain. The fats in the grease stick to the insides of your home’s pipes, mixing with other chemicals in the sewer to form nasty conglomerations of buildup that block the pipes.
- Baking soda + vinegar = instant alleviation. The combination of baking soda and vinegar seems to be a good solution for cleaning drains and absorbing odors. Keep in mind, though, that it will not unclog a blocked drain.
- Keep hair out. It’s very important to keep the hair out of bathroom drains, especially long hair. Simply install some screens and hair traps. This will prevent the buildup of hair in your drain.
- The toilet is not a miracle flusher. Many people think that the pressure that comes with flushing a toilet will flush everything down, but this isn’t the case. Never flush things like hair, dental floss, condoms, cigarettes, chewing gum, or unwanted medications. The toilet was designed to flush human waste – using it for any other purpose can damage your plumbing and lead to expensive repairs.
Here are some additional tips:
- If you have municipal sewers, we strongly recommend hiring a South Boston drain specialist to snake your main sewer line every few years. This will remove any debris, including tree roots.
- If you’re experiencing one of the following scenarios, schedule a drain service before it’s too late:
- Slow water drainage
- Gurgling sounds
- Drains that smell bad – even after you use a drain cleaning solution
If you’ve tried our tips and are still experiencing issues with clogged drains, you may have a bigger problem in your main sewer line. Contact Winters Home Services today at (617) 977-3101 to schedule a free estimate.