Summer is here and it is time to get your home ready for the warm weather. While it is common to prepare your home for summer by cleaning the windows, decluttering the closets, and revamping outdoor areas, it is equally important to get your home’s plumbing ready for summer.
The plumbing system plays a significant role in maintaining your home’s comfort in summer. That’s why you should ensure that it is in great shape before the temperatures start to rise. In this blog post, we’ll provide you with some essential tips for preparing your home’s plumbing for summer.
How Can I Prepare My Home’s Plumbing for Summer?
While most homeowners think about preparing their AC units for summer, not as many give much thought to ensuring their home’s plumbing system is ready for the warmer months. The following are tips for preparing your home’s plumbing for summer:
- Check the Outdoor Faucets: The outdoor faucets are notoriously prone to damage due to winter’s harsh weather. As such, you should ensure that they are in great shape before summer begins. First, turn on the water and inspect the faucets for any leaks. If you notice any leaks, hire a professional plumber to repair or replace the damaged parts. Other than that, clear out any debris, dirt, or leaves that may have accumulated around the faucets.
- Inspect the Water Heater: A malfunctioning water heater could put a damper on your summer plans. Therefore, it is advisable to get your water heater checked and serviced by a licensed plumber to ensure that it is functioning optimally. The plumber will inspect the heater for any leaks, sediment buildup, or other issues that may affect its performance. Furthermore, they will replace or repair any damaged parts to keep your water heater in excellent condition.
- Maintain Your Sprinkler System: With summer comes the need to water your lawn and garden frequently. As such, it would be best to maintain your sprinkler system to ensure that it is working correctly. Start by checking the sprinkler heads to ensure they are not clogged or damaged. Moreover, inspect the pipes for leaks, damage, or wear and tear that may affect the sprinkler system's effectiveness. Ensure that you repair any issues detected to avoid wasting water and keep your garden looking lush all summer long.
- Clean Your Drains: During winter, debris, dirt, and leaves accumulate in the drains, causing blockages. Therefore, it is advisable to clean your drains before summer begins to ensure they are functioning correctly. Start by removing any debris, hair, or other buildup in your drains using a plunger or drain snake. Then, pour hot water down the drains to flush out any leftover debris and keep your pipes running smoothly.
- Have a Professional Inspection: In addition to DIY maintenance tasks, you should have a professional plumber inspect your home’s plumbing system. They have experience and the expertise to detect any underlying issues that can be missed during DIY inspections. During the inspection, the plumber will check for leaks, damage, corrosion, and improper installation. After the inspection, they will advise you on the necessary repairs, replacements, and upgrades to keep your plumbing system in excellent condition.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your home’s plumbing remains in great shape throughout the summer. Remember, regular maintenance and inspections save you money in the long run by preventing costly repairs and replacements.
If you need assistance preparing your home’s plumbing system for summer in Boston and its surrounding communities, don’t hesitate to call our local licensed plumbers at Winters Home Services at (617) 977-3101 or get in touch with us online.