What to Do if a Pipe Bursts in Your HouseBy Winters Home Services
If a pipe bursts in your house, it can cause catastrophic damage to your home and other possessions. However, there are some steps you can take to minimize the damage and get your home back to normal as quickly as possible. In this blog post, we'll cover what to do if a pipe bursts in your house. We'll also provide some tips for preventing future problems.
What Should I Do if a Pipe Bursts in My House?
If a pipe bursts in your home, you must act quickly. If you do, you may be able to limit the damage to your plumbing, the rest of your house, and your possessions. The following are tips for what to do if a pipe bursts in your house:
- Shut off the water – If a pipe bursts in your home, the first step to mitigate further damage is to shut off the water source. This includes turning off the main valve of your house and ensuring that all coolers, taps, sinks, and other pipes are not receiving any more water. The sooner you can take this action, the more mess and damage you can prevent. If a valve is blocked or hard to reach, it's best to call a professional plumber as they can help you get it taken care of quickly.
- Check the damage – After the water has been shut off, it is important to check the damage. Take a look at your pipes and assess the damage to them and any other parts of your home that were impacted, including ceilings, walls, floors, possessions, et cetera. If these issues are not solved promptly, they can cause much bigger problems moving forward, including making your home uninhabitable due to the presence of toxic mold or damage to any load-bearing walls.
- Call a plumber - When you determine there is damage, it is best to contact a professional plumber right away so they can repair the problem quickly and safely. Ignoring the issue will only lead to more time and money wasted on repairs later down the line, so it’s important to prioritize solving this problem now while you have the opportunity.
- Call your insurance company - When your home experiences significant damage, such as due to a burst pipe, calling an insurance company to file a claim is your best bet. Their experts have the knowledge and understanding of insurance laws to ensure the claim is handled correctly and that claimants receive any necessary compensation. Insurance companies often have representatives who are available 24/7, meaning filing a claim can be done at any time of day or night and the customer service representatives can assist with any questions you may have. Filing a claim with an insurance company can be complicated and stressful, so it’s important to make sure all policies are understood before taking further action.
- Clean up - It's important to begin cleaning up as soon as possible if a pipe bursts in your home, because it can help to minimize any permanent damage. First, clean up any water that has leaked out. After that, take steps to dry out the affected area as much as possible. Open windows and turn on fans to help with air circulation and use towels or a mop to absorb extra moisture. It is also wise to check for any hidden areas of excess moisture. These could include under furniture or behind walls, where it can be difficult to notice until mold develops. Taking these steps will help minimize potential problems down the line and keep your home safe from extensive water damage.
How Can I Prevent My Pipes From Bursting in the Future?
Cold weather can easily wreak havoc on your plumbing system, leaving you with frozen pipes, expensive repairs, and lots of frustration. It is important to take preventive measures to avoid this happening. A couple of steps you can take to prevent your pipes from bursting in the future include:
- Make sure your pipes are properly insulated so they don't freeze in the winter.
- Have professional plumbing technicians inspect your pipes regularly. It will help make sure you identify any problems before they become big issues.
Taking these steps now can save you a lot of time and money down the road. Investing in preventive maintenance for your plumbing system is the best way to keep it running smoothly for years and years to come.
To learn more about what to do if a pipe bursts in your home, call Winters® Home Services at (617) 977-3101 or contact us online today. Our experienced plumbers are available 24/7 for emergency plumbing services.