The Top 5 Ways to Save Money on Summer Cooling CostsBy Winters Home Services
Summer is pretty much here, and that means it’s time to get your air conditioner ready for daily use again. However, just because you are going to be running your AC unit every day doesn’t mean your utility bill has to spike exponentially. Keep reading for the top five ways to save money on summer cooling costs, courtesy of our HVAC experts at Winters® Home Services.
Our Top 5 Tips to Reduce AC Costs This Summer
- Let Your AC Run During the Day: Letting your AC run all day, even when you leave the house, might sound like the exact opposite of how you would expect to reduce cooling costs. However, by keeping your air conditioner on at a stable temperature all day, you won’t have to crank it all the way down when you get home from work. When you blast the AC to cool your house after heat has accumulated in it all day, your system has to work harder to cover the whole space—and the harder your system works, the more expensive your cooling bills will be. By keeping your AC at a stable temperature all day, it won’t have to work as hard to cool your whole space, and you will be comfortable the second you step in the door. This step is also particularly effective when you …
- Raise Your Thermostat Setting: Again, we know this may sound counterintuitive. After all, when it gets hot out, you would think you’d turn the temperature on your thermostat down, right? Except that because you’re already going to be running your AC so much in the summertime, it is better to balance out costs by actually turning your thermostat up. By keeping the thermostat around 72 degrees, your energy bills will remain stable and you will be able to enjoy consistent temperatures throughout your house. And the same is true during the wintertime, when it is better to turn your thermostat down to balance out the cost of running your furnace. One great thing about the era we live in is that it is now easier to customize thermostat settings than ever. Cutting-edge, wireless thermostats are easy to adjust, and some modern models will automatically find the ideal temperature for you.
- Find Ways to Lock in Temperatures: The EPA has estimated that homeowners can reduce their cooling costs by as much as 15% simply by locking in temperatures throughout their household. This starts with sealing cracks and holes as much as possible, repairing visible openings, and weather-stripping doors and windows. It is also important to maintain proper insulation. You can help temperatures throughout your home remain stable for years to come just by ensuring the insulation and your attic or elsewhere isn’t damaged, and replacing it when it starts to get torn up. Finally, even checking that windows are properly closed (and drawing blinds so your AC doesn’t have to combat the heat from the sun) can go a long way towards locking in cool air, keeping your home temperature stable, and guaranteeing premium summer comfort.
- Install Ceiling Fans: While ceiling fans may not seem very useful compared to the full blast of an air conditioner, they can actually be extremely helpful when it comes to keeping your house cool and your energy costs affordable. By running your AC and a ceiling fan at the same time, the ceiling fan will help increase airflow in whatever room it’s installed in. This takes the pressure off your air conditioner, so your system doesn’t have to work as hard, meaning you save more and get to enjoy cooler temperatures. A well-placed ceiling fan can also improve the look of any room, and when it gets cooler out at night, or if you live in a more temperate part of the country, a ceiling fan can take the place of your air conditioner altogether.
- Never Hesitate to Call a Technician: If there is a problem with your air conditioner, the best way to prevent expensive repairs is simply to call a professional sooner rather than later. At Winters® Home Services, we offer a range of air conditioning services, so we can take care of emergencies ASAP. Plus with our Heating and Cooling Maintenance Plan, you can now get regular tune-ups to keep your air conditioning system running efficiently and affordably for years to come.
Call Winters® Home Services now at (617) 977-3101 to schedule an AC appointment, or click here to contact us online.