One of the biggest safety issues that can endanger homeowners is a gas leak. Gas leaks can be very harmful and, in some cases, deadly. If the gas from a gas leak is allowed to build up over time, it can result in carbon monoxide poisoning. In addition, although the chances are relatively low, a gas leak has the potential to cause an explosion.
In many cases, gas leaks can go undetected until it’s too late. Fortunately, if you know what to look out for, you can discover whether your home has a gas leak before the worst happens.
Tips for Recognizing a Gas Leak
If you suspect your home has a gas leak, there are signs you can look for that can help you determine whether your suspicions are valid. The following are tips for recognizing a gas leak:
- Hissing or Whistling Sound – In some cases, if there’s a gas leak in your home, the gas will make a whistling or hissing sound as it’s escaping from the gas line. If you hear something like this in your home, you may have a problem.
- Check the Stove – If there’s no leak, your gas stovetop should give off a blue flame. A blue flame means that there’s enough oxygen in your home for the gas to combust. If you notice your stovetop giving off an orange or red flame, you might have a gas leak.
- Gas Leak Detector – A natural gas leak detector is one of the surest ways to determine if your home has a gas leak. There are several quality gas leak detectors on the market. An experienced plumber can provide recommendations.
You should also have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home. If there’s a gas leak, there will be a build up of carbon monoxide. If there’s carbon monoxide built up in your home, you could experience the following symptoms:
- Chest pains
- Breathing difficulties
- Dizziness and lightheadedness
- Reduced appetite and nausea
- Throat and/or eye irritation
- Mood changes, such as depression and irritability
- Ringing in ears
Our Home Services Experts Are Available for Emergencies
A gas leak should never be ignored. If you even suspect your home has a gas leak, you need to act quickly. Winters® Home Services provides emergency plumbing services as well as same-day appointments. If you have a gas leak, every second matters. Let us help. Our knowledgeable and skilled plumbers have been providing residential and commercial customers in Boston and surrounding areas with top notch plumbing services, including gas leak repair, since 1995.
For more information about Winters® Home Services, check out our customers’ reviews.