Paying for heating and cooling while being out of the house eight hours a day or more can be a real pain. Although you try to save money by leaving your HVAC system off until you return home from work, being welcomed by uncomfortable temperatures is not an ideal way to relax.
Fortunately, a programmable thermostat is a viable solution. While they have become more standard in modern homes throughout the country, making the switch from a manual thermostat to a programmable model is an easy process.
This type of thermostat enables you to automatically adjust your home temperature through a series of pre-programmed settings for different times throughout the day. Some latest models can be accessed online or through your cell phone.
The following are the benefits of programmable thermostats:
- Saves money – The most important advantage of programmable thermostats is savings. You can program specific temperatures based on your schedule, which avoids wasting energy when you’re not home and provides comfort while you’re there.
- Less time adjusting – With a manual thermostat, you spend a significant amount of time readjusting your home’s temperature every time you wake up, go to sleep, leave for work, and return home. A programmable thermostat allows you to “set it and forget it,” creating a different schedule for weekdays, weekends, or even each and which times.
- Maximum comfort – With a programmable thermostat, you can maintain consistent, perfect temperature throughout your home at all times. Rather than crank your heater on high when you get home during the cold winter months, the temperatures in your home will stay steady due to the thermostats’ programmed schedule.
- Less strain on your heating and air conditioning systems – If you are thinking about installing a new HVAC system, try pairing it with a programmable thermostat instead. Doing so will ensure your appliance is working at its peak efficiency, thus reducing its workload and giving you more mileage for an increased period of time. When it is time to replace your unit, a programmable thermostat can help keep it in great condition.
- Control from afar – As we mentioned earlier, some programmable thermostats offer remote operation through the internet or by smartphone. That way if you forgot to set your temperatures when you left home to work, or if you are on vacation, you have the ability to control your home’s temperature settings without being there.