Winter in Massachusetts is associated with snow and frigid temperatures. While it is important to keep yourself warm, you need to dedicate some time winterizing your home’s plumbing to keep them in great condition when the temperatures drop.
Failure to prepare your pipes for the winter can result in serious issues and costly repairs. Since a significant amount of money is spent over the holiday season, the last thing you want to happen is a major plumbing repair to fix.
The following are several ways to prepare your plumbing for the cold months ahead:
- Insulate exposed pipes – Protecting the pipes in your home from extremely low temperatures is one of the most important things to do. Water lines coursing through your attic, garage, and crawl space are susceptible to freezing during the winter season. Purchase pipe insulation and heating tape and wrap a layer of insulation in each exposed area.
- Winterize outside faucets – Your outdoor faucets are also exposed to frigid weather conditions. If any water within in faucets freezes, pressure can build up and cause a pipe burst. To protect them, disconnect and drain any connected hoses, then shut off the water to your outdoor faucets, if there is a separate shutoff valve.
- Check your furnace – Although your heating system is not part of your plumbing, if your furnace stops providing heat throughout your home during winter, your plumbing will be vulnerable to freezing and damage. Ensure your heater is performing at peak efficiency before the cold weather consumes the region.
- Service your water heater –It is important to drain and maintain your water heater around this time of year. A professional plumber can service your unit by checking the tank’s anode rod and any signs of corrosion or wear and make the necessary repairs.
- Locate your home’s main water valve – In the event of a serious emergency, such as a pipe burst, you need to immediately shut off all of the water to avoid suffering more damage. This valve is often found next to the water meter.
- Seek professional help – At Winters Home Services, our Boston plumbers are licensed and insured to conduct plumbing maintenance to safeguard your home against the elements this winter.
To schedule a plumbing repair and maintenance, contact us and request an appointment today.