How to Identify a Gas Leak | Winters® Home Services

March 2, 2018

It is possible that you have a gas leak if you notice any of the following: a whistling or hiss noise, musty or strange odors, condensation in the windows, blue flames for your appliances, or soot around appliances.

According to the American Chemical Society, nearly 20 people die from gas leaks and explosions each year in the United States. This results in more than $130 million in property damage on an annual basis. Natural gas is odorless, but very dangerous. That is why gas companies have added a distinctive odor to residential gas supplies to help prevent gas leak injuries and fatalities.

What Causes Gas Leaks in Your Home?

Natural gas flows through a series of pipes and tubes in your home. It provides power for water heaters, cooking stoves, fireplaces, and other gas-powered appliances. However, these pipes can sometimes become corroded, allowing gas to escape through compromised wall fittings. Furthermore, improperly installed appliances may be loose, which could let gas escape into your home.

Signs of a Gas Leak

There are several signs you can look for to identify a gas leak in your home. The most obvious sign is the scent of the gas. If you notice the gas smell in a particular area of your home, or the smell is prevalent throughout your house, this is a clear sign of a gas leak. However, there are other warning signs that can alert you to a potentially dangerous situation.

These include:

  1. Unexplained feelings of dizziness or nausea
  2. A blown out pilot light
  3. Musty or strange odors in your home
  4. Condensation on windows
  5. Blue flames instead of yellow or orange flames for your appliances
  6. Soot around appliances, or unexplained scorched areas

What to Do If You Notice Any of These Signs

Even a small gas leak could cause a major explosion. It could also lead to carbon monoxide poisoning and other health problems. It is important to pay attention to warning signs and take action to stay safe. Ignoring the smell of gas or other signs in your home, even if they seem minor, is a mistake. A small leak could turn into a larger problem over time, filling the walls and spaces of your home with harmful gas. That is why you should take signs of a gas leak seriously.

If you notice warning signs of a gas leak in your home, there are several things you should do:

  1. Get out!
  2. Contact your gas company to turn the gas supply off or call 911
  3. Call Winters® Home Services to receive assistance AFTER taking necessary precautions

The most important thing to do is to exit your home immediately. Even if the gas leak seems small or is confined to one area of your home, it could still pose a major health risk. The next step you should take is to call your gas company and turn off your gas meter, if possible. This will shut off the supply of gas to your home, preventing the problem from growing worse.

You should also open doors and windows to air out your building. Fresh air from outside will help disperse the gas, decreasing the risk of an explosion. It is important to avoid using electrical switches or other appliances that could cause a spark. Until your building is clear of natural gas, you should avoid using electronic equipment, and avoid smoking or using a flame anywhere near your building. Our team will come inspect your home, and repair any loose fixtures or appliances to stop the gas leak so you can have peace of mind.

Call Winters® Home Services Today at 617-221-5899

If you think your home has a gas leak, Winters® Home Services is here to help. Once you have taken the necessary precautions, our Boston gas leak repair specialists will use safe and effective methods to repair appliances and fix any issues that could cause a gas leak in the future. Your satisfaction is our number one priority. From start to finish, we will respect your time and property and work hard to meet your specific needs.

Contact our office today to discuss your situation with a member of our team. We are available to handle all your emergency plumbing, heating, and cooling issues.