Plumbing repairs are expensive, and when a plumbing problem arises, it’s a nightmare and causes inconvenience to our daily routines. While there are some plumbing fixes that homeowners can do themselves, there are some that require professional help and immediate attention. Here are the top 8 we advise for all homeowners.
- Main Valve Shutoff – This is the shutoff that controls your home’s water supply. If the main valve shutoff isn’t working properly, you will not be able to shut off your main water supply in the case of drippy faucets, or worst case scenario, a burst pipe. The first thing to do is to contact the town to have the water supply in the street shut off, and call a plumber to repair the issue.
- Leaky Toilet – Not only does it increase your water bill, but your toilet is also not working properly. To check for toilet leaks, simply remove the toilet tank lid and drop 10 drops of food coloring or a dye tablet into the tank. Do not flush and wait for 10 to 15 minutes, then look at the bowl. If you see colored water, you have a leaky toilet. Calling a plumber is the best solution because an improperly installed toilet can cause a lot of problems.
- Faucets Installations – Although there are many tutorials on installing faucets, we strongly recommend that homeowners have experts complete faucet installations to prevent any future issues. Installing plumbing fixtures yourself can be difficult and physically demanding. By hiring a professional plumber, you will have the peace of mind of having a high-quality installation and performance.
- Leaking Water Heaters – When a water heater leaks, it is a significant sign that it needs a major repair or a replacement. A standard water heater last about eight to 10 years. A leaking water heater can cause damage to your basement and major inconvenience to your everyday routine. Call a plumber ASAP. Once you get a new water heater, learn how to maintain it here to extend its lifespan.
- Leaky Pipe – A pipe replacement is physically demanding and isn’t something that homeowners can easily do themselves. Leaving a leaky pipe unfixed also causes extensive damages, such as damage to the walls behind the pipe, mold growth, and deterioration of framing overtime. A leaky pipe is also an early sign of a burst pipe, which results a greater damage to your home. So if a pipe is leaking, get it fixed ASAP.
- Clogged Drains – When a drain is clogged, it not only causes inconvenience, but could back up and cause extensive damage. A clogged drain also wastes water and increases your water bill. Sometimes a clogged drain is a sign of a greater problem, such as a major sewer issue that needs immediate attention. We always recommend that homeowners get their clogged drains fixed right away, and also have a routine maintenance checkup on their drains and sewer system. Here at Winters Home Services, we offer extensive plumbing and drain membership to help our customers’ drains stay clear at all times!
- Garbage Disposal Issues – We have a tutorial on teaching homeowners how to reset their disposal, if all else fails, it is best to call a plumber to unclog it. Garbage disposals involve a lot of plumbing and drain work, which requires professional repair. You can also learn how to care for your garbage disposal once it’s fixed so you can prevent any future issues, as well as extend its lifespan.
- Running Toilet – A running toilet is a major contribution to a costly water bill and is generally the result of broken internal parts. It could be as small as a simple repair on the valves, or it could be something larger. That’s why it’s always a better idea to contact a professional plumber than tackle the issue yourself.
While there are numerous issues that will require a professional plumber, we believe that these are the top plumbing fixtures that require immediate attention and repair. Don’t wait forever and get these fixed right away.
Need service? Contact Winters Home Services as soon as possible to schedule a free estimate with a Cambridge plumber. Emergency services available!