A washing machine is a valuable appliance that can simplify your life. However, washing machines can also cause headaches if their hoses burst. Burst washing machine hoses can cause water damage to your home and disrupt your routine.
In this blog post, we will explain what can cause a washing machine hose to burst and provide tips to help homeowners prevent their washing machine hoses from bursting.
Common Reasons Washing Machine Hoses Burst
If you have a washing machine in your home, it’s important you learn to recognize if its hose is about to burst. If you know a washing machine’s hose is on the verge of bursting, you may be able to prevent it from happening and save yourself a giant headache. The following are signs that a washing machine’s hose is about to burst:
- Age of the hose: One significant factor that can cause a washing machine hose to burst is old age. Most washing machine hoses have a lifespan of around 3-5 years. If your washing machine hoses are 7-10 years old, it’s time to replace them with newer hoses.
- Material the hose is made of: The material the washing machine hose is made of is a crucial factor to consider. The two most common types of hoses are rubber and stainless steel. Rubber hoses are less expensive and flexible, but they have a shorter lifespan and can easily burst after extended use. Stainless steel hoses are more durable and have a longer lifespan, but they are less flexible and more expensive than rubber hoses.
- Water pressure: Another factor that can cause a washing machine hose to burst is water pressure. If the water pressure is too high, it can put excessive pressure on the hoses, which can lead to bursting. One way to prevent this is by installing a pressure regulator on your washing machine.
- Poor installation: Poor installation can also cause a washing machine hose to burst. A poorly installed hose can cause stress on the hose, leading to bursts. Ensure that your washing machine hoses are installed correctly by a certified technician.
- Wear and tear: Wear and tear is another significant factor that can lead to a washing machine hose bursting. If you notice any visible wear and tear on the hose, it’s time to replace it. Also, regularly check the hoses for any cracks, bulges, or worn spots.
Need Help with a Plumbing Emergency? Contact Winters Home Services Now!
At Winters Home Services, we excel in handling plumbing emergencies, including cases like burst washing machine hoses. With close to 30 years of experience, we have assisted numerous homeowners and businesses in resolving urgent plumbing issues. Our long list of satisfied customers attests to our ability to tackle plumbing problems swiftly and efficiently.
If you have a plumbing emergency, call us at (617) 977-3101 or reach out to us online today.